Leanne of la-la-la illustration has tagged me, to reveal six things about myself. Hmmmm where shall I begin….
1. I studied illustration at Eastbourne art college xxx years ago, I loved living by the sea. Recently I found out that the beautiful old building that had housed the college had been demolished and replaced by flats. So sad.
2. One of my first jobs on leaving college was to illustrate this….
I went on to work for clients such as WH Smith, Hamlyns, Scholastic, Laura Ashley, DC Thompson and Oxfam. Mainly greetings cards, educational books and a little pottery design.
I loved it.
3. My artistic streak comes from my dad, He was a pottery designer and artist, Sadly he died while I was working on The Secret Garden in 1979. But he left me this….
In our house it was always know as ‘the Vermeers head’. My dad made it in 1954, the year I was born. As it is in 3D, you can see that she is wearing two pearl earrings!
He was incredibly prolific. I have it in mind to one day create a blog/website about his work.
4. Just as my dad did, I tend to paint in the living room in the evenings while I am watching the TV, I do have desk space upstairs but I prefer being with the family, and as I am so disorganised and untidy I can’t get near my desk anyway!
5. Off the arty theme, I am the owner of a gorgeous little dog called Mabel, who is a Lucas terrier, there is not many of them around and I had to wait ages to get her.
6. I don’t drive on motorways, they terrify me, I much prefer to travel on A and B roads to get somewhere, you see so much more. A few years ago I took the boys down to Cornwall from Lancashire, we travelled overnight without putting one wheel on a motorway, we saw foxes, badgers and deer and more rural England than you could shake a stick at, wonderful. The journey was very much a part of the holiday, just as it should be.
I think that’s it for now, I am now supposed to tag six more people, but I am going to opt out and will leave it open for anyone else who wishes to join in.
p.s. Happy (leap) birthday to all who are celebrating today!